Contraception and Family Planning
All of our doctors and nurses are well-equipped to counsel on and prescribe the full range of contraception available.
Dr Betty Hyde and Dr Liz Gould advise on the Implanon contraceptive device, Mirena Intra-Uterine Contraceptive System, and Copper Intra-Uterine Device.
Visit Think Contraception for more information on methods of contraception.
Combined Antenatal Care
The combined antenatal care programme allows you to be under the joint care of your GP and obstetrician during pregnancy. This is internationally recognised as the best and most convenient form of ante-natal care. Visits to the Cork Road Clinic that are related to the pregnancy are free of charge once the HSE application form is completed in the surgery. Ideally, you should visit one of our doctors as soon as you discover you are pregnant. We will then refer you to your local maternity hospital where you will be seen before 20 weeks for assessment, blood tests and a scan. Subsequently, your visits will alternate between the hospital and GP and become more frequent as your pregnancy progresses.
Combined ante-natal care also includes visits to your GP 6 weeks after the baby is born.
We also facilitate those patients who choose semi-private or private ante-natal care by arranging appropriate referrals.
Cervical Screening (Smear Test)
- Free cervical smear screening for women aged 25-60 years.
- Cervical Check has issued letters of invitation to all women aged 25 – 60 years (through the national PPS number database).
- You can choose to opt-in to Cervical Check and self-register if you have never had a smear before by either logging on to www.cervicalcheck.ie and click on ‘Check if you are registered, or alternatively, you can call 1800 45 45 55.
- The details required will be the usual personal details plus your PPS number(essential) so have this close at hand.
- Once you have completed the self-registration process and you are due a smear test, you will be given a CSP ID number. You may then contact us to arrange your smear test appointment.
- If you have had a smear in the past and are unsure of your next smear test date, you can simply log on and check if you are registered. You will be issued with an exact date from which to attend your smear test. You will also be given a CSP ID.
- The exceptions to the above are women who are attending for follow-up smear tests due to previous abnormal smear results or post-colposcopy.
- If you have any further queries please contact the Practice Nurses (Margaret or Gill) here at the Cork Road Clinic at 022 21579.